This pie is so satisfying and delicious. It has three steps to making it but each one is easy and can be made at different points during the day. Then put it all together and bake when you get a chance.
I used white peaches because that is what looked good at the Farmers Market, I have made it twice with the white peaches and it's fantastic.
You must serve with vanilla ice cream. Don't even consider not doing it.
For The Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For The Filling:
- 3 pounds peaches, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch slices (8 cups or about 8 peaches)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
For The Crumble:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Make crust: In a food processor, pulse flour, salt, and granulated sugar until combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining (I just use a whisk and then mix in the butter with my fingers--it's faster and uses less equipment). Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse (or gently knead) until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time); do not overmix. Form dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to overnight)--in a hurry I stick it in my freezer for about 20 minutes. And I am always in a hurry!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch pie plate, fold overhang under, and crimp edges.
- Make filling: In a large bowl, toss together peaches, brown sugar, and flour until combined.
- Make crumble: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and oats; using your hands, work in butter until large clumps form.
- Transfer peach filling to pie shell, then sprinkle crumble evenly over top. Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until juices are bubbling and topping is golden, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 1 1/2 hours before serving.
- Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart, Everyday Food magazine.