Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Texas sheet cupcakes

Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light
This recipe nabs the award for "most requested cake" in our family. My Mom, in particular, must not think much of anything else I have ever baked because it is this cake that time and time again I get asked to bring.
I'm not sure why this cake is called Texas Sheet Cake, a friend from Texas claims he has never tasted this--the mystery deepens.
A friend of mine asked for this recipe and made it into cupcakes for her daughter's birthday, I thought it was a great idea so I made these for my Mom's birthday.
Texas Sheet Cake/Cupcakes
For the cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
Frosting:
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Preheat oven to 375°.
Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray, and dust with 2 teaspoons flour. Set aside.
Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl (or Kitchen-Aid), stirring well with a whisk.
Combine 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/4 cup cocoa in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add to flour mixture. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs; beat well. Pour batter into the prepared pan (or cupcake liners). Bake at 375° for 22-28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
Prepare the frosting while the cake is baking:
Combine butter, milk, and cocoa in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in powdered sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla. Spread over hot cake. Sprinkle cake with pecans (I usually stir my pecans into the icing). Cool completely on wire rack.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this idea - Texas sheet cake is my favorite that I make my husband make for me every birthday... other than I would have to eat 4 to equal the huge slab I devour! So, next time you make no-bake cookies... I double the recipe & pour it in my cookie sheet - to make no-bake bars. SO much easier! Some of my favorite recipes are on my blog if you ever want some new ones to try. Love you pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete