Sunday, October 4, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

Nothing fancy here, but the kids love 'em!
This is our go-to for Saturday or Sunday morning. The kids request them over and over...although I have a whole list of other things I would prefer to make these keep the kids happy.
I have to admit they are pretty darn tasty, too. Ryan and the kids demand chocolate chip, I make myself a batch of blueberry when they are in season.
I have tried several 'from scratch' pancake recipes and these are the easiest and taste great, it is just the recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens red plaid cookbook. They are a cinch to throw together in the morning but when I am really on the ball I will do it the night before and stick the batter in the fridge.
This is the standard pancake recipe with the 'buttermilk pancake' variation. The buttermilk is a necessity in my opinion-the texture and flavor are way way better.
In a medium bowl combine:
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal, optional
In another medium bowl combine:
1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk, plus more for thinning
2 tablespoons canola oil
Add egg mixture to dry mixture all at once, stirring just until moistened, batter will remain lumpy.
Stir in 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, if desired.
Let rest at least 5 minutes before ladling onto griddle.
Pour about 1/4-cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle.
*Tip* When the whole family is eating I double the recipe. The kids like the leftovers the next morning.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I made these this week and we all LOVED them. I didn't have mini chips so i chopped up regular chips and they were like shaving all in the pancakes. thanks!

    ReplyDelete