Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars

I love having little satisfying snacks on hand for when I am too busy with life to make food and I just want to grab something. This was my go-to snack after Annie was born. Something to hold me over and give me a bit of energy and I just had to thaw it out. These are versatile too if you want to play with flavor combos. Obviously you could do raisins instead of chocolate chips--just increase the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon. I also think the kids would enjoy these with "no chunky stuff" and some quick icing on top.

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 egg
• 1 cup flour (I use white whole wheat)
• ¼ cup ground flaxseed (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
• 1-1/4 cups rice crispies cereal
• ½ cup coconut (optional)
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts or pecans)
• 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

• In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the honey, vanilla and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal, coconut, nuts and chocolate chips.
• Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Yield 2 dozen.

I freeze the cut squares for a fast snack anytime, just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so.

Adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment