Sunday, March 27, 2011

Swedish Pancakes


I first had Swedish Pancakes at the Railroad Cafe. It was a glorious morning!
With four little kids we don't make it out of the house for breakfast often--or ever, actually! I enjoy recreating our favorite breakfasts that we have eaten out before. The kids ALWAYS request I make their favorite pancakes but when I am feeling really selfish I will make these for Ryan and I and the kids can just have cereal if they don't want the Swedes (ooooh, I am SO mean!).

I made the batter before I went to bed so they were a snap to make in the morning. This recipe makes about fourteen 10" pancakes, I can easily eat four myself.

These are typically served with Lingonberry sauce (you know, like you can get at Ikea). I don't really care for Lingonberries so I made my own sauce with raspberry jam and sour cream.

Swedish Pancakes

3 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Beat eggs with 1/2 cup of milk with a mixer until frothy (several minutes). Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder and add all at once to the egg mixture. Beat until smooth (batter will be heavy). Add remaining milk and butter and beat until smooth. Batter should be fairly thin. Add more milk if necessary.
Heat one or two (I get bored waiting between batches) 10" skillets over medium heat, or until water flicked onto the surface sizzles. Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray (only necessary before your first pancake, the butter in the batter will keep the pan greased).
Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl the pan around so the batter spreads out to the edge and makes a large, thin pancake.
Cook for about a minute until the edges are beginning to brown then flip over to continue cooking on the other side. I use tongs to flip them over.
Fold the pancake in half and then in half again so it's a quarter of a circle and slide onto your plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
You can preheat the oven to 200 F to keep the cooked pancakes warm until you are ready to serve.

Simple Raspberry sauce:

Mix together equal parts raspberry jam and sour cream. You could also use plain Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment