If I see three bananas sitting on my counter not getting eaten, I secretly hope they don't get eaten so I can turn them into this luscious bread. Add in the fact that everyone in my family is crazy about this bread and--bananas, your counter-sitting days are numbered!
Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups mashed banana, about 3 medium
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt ( I prefer Greek)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt, stirring with a whisk. Set aside. If desired, this is where I usually add in 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed.
- Mash the bananas in another bowl. Set aside.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl ( I use my Kitchen-Aid); beat until well blended-about a minute. Add banana, egg substitute and yogurt; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat on low just until moist.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl and microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup of batter to the melted chocolate, stirring until combined.
- Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters by running a knife lengthwise and then from side to side.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Yield:16 slices
Tip: Don't cover the top of the bread, it will cause the delectable top crust to become soggy.
Guilty pleasure: Toast a slice of the bread and slather with peanut butter...you must try this, it is such a treat!
Sorry this is post is all centered...having technical difficulties!