Thursday, August 20, 2009

New-kini

What a surprise to see a post about zucchini in August, I know. It's just that time of year. And it's pretty much the only thing actually producing in my garden, aside from my sweet peppers.
Here are just a few things I have done with my zucchini so far this season....the other things got eaten before I remembered to photograph them! Sorry if this feels a bit like Pvt. Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue...
Oh yeah, and the title comes from Kian...I say zucchini, he says new-kini.

Fried Zucchini

First, I cut the zucchini into quarters and halved lengthwise.

Then, I mixed up some regular breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and a smattering of Italian seasoning in a bowl.

Then I cracked and beat an egg in another bowl.

Next, I dipped each piece of zucchini in the egg and dredged through the breadcrumb mixture.

Sometimes I faux-fry these in the oven but since it was already too hot in the house I decided to do the real deal. I heated olive oil in a skillet. When it was good and hot I started adding pieces of zucchini and would turn them to let them brown on each side. Once out, I drained them on paper towels and then spooned more parmesan cheese over them. Now, I am not a huge fan of ranch dressing--but for some reason, these beg to be dipped in it.

These are almost as good as the ones on the pier from Riva in Santa Cruz. Almost.


BBQ'd Zucchini

So easy....Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" thick pieces. Drizzle the slices with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Creole seasoning. Barbecue to your hearts content.


'Sauteed' Zucchini
This is the traditional method my Mom uses to make zucchini. I don't know who showed her this....maybe her Mom?
Slice up the zucchini into 1/8" thick slices. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and bit of butter in a pot. Add the zucchini and stir to coat pieces with oil. Let sit to saute and cook through. Stir every few minutes. It's okay to let the pieces on the bottom brown, in fact, a fight usually breaks out over who is taking all the "brown pieces".
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment